Membership Analytics Overview
The Membership Analytics dashboard provides you with a detailed view of your memberships. These dashboards allow you to review all membership data through a selected date range and track all membership gains and losses.
The membership dashboards are organized across 2 different categories: New Memberships and Churn. The New Memberships and Churn tabs will provide more specific data on new memberships and memberships lost to cancellations, expirations, and returns respectfully.
The data for the dashboards is updated daily. On any given day, you can expect to see all membership changes up to and including the previous day.
Please note that while Membership Analytics includes historical data, many ASF reports do not. Inconsistencies may be present when attempting to compare the two.
The Membership Analytics Dashboard includes a number of filters that can be used to change the data viewed:
- Club: Limits the data displayed to be from only the selected club(s)
- Offer Code: Displays data for specific memberships
- Churn Type: View data for all memberships, memberships that have been cancelled, memberships that have expired, or memberships that have been returned
- Month: Select a specific month to view. By default, the dashboard displays the most recent month's data
- Year: Select a specific year to view.
- Membership Payment: View data for all forms of payment, $0 memberships, memberships with recurring payments, or paid in full (PIF) membership
Select your filters, then click Apply to apply them to the data. You can use the Reset Filters option to reset any applied filters.
New Memberships Dashboard
The New Memberships dashboard displays data specific to the new memberships that were sold by your location(s). This tab should be used to keep on the number of new memberships coming in each month and where they are coming from.
The top section will give you a quick breakdown of the new memberships you gained.
- New Memberships: The total number of new memberships entered. Additionally, this will display the number of new memberships sold online, the number of returning members, and the new recurring revenue gained from these new memberships
- A member is considered Returning if the month they became inactive was a different month than the date of their renewal or replacement
- For example, if a member canceled their membership on January 20th, 2022 and then returned and signed up for a new membership on February 1st, 2022, they would be considered a returning member in February
- Renewals: The total number of existing memberships that were renewed. Additionally, this will display the number of those renewals that were completed online as well as the total recurring revenue that was preserved through renewals
- Upgrades: The total number of replacements where the recurring payment amount was increased
- Downgrades: The total number of replacements where the recurring payment amount was decreased
- Average Down Payment: The average down payment made for new memberships. The average PIF payment amount is listed separately.
- Average Monthly Dues: The calculated average monthly dues payment for all new memberships for the selected locations for the selected month. This will also show your minimum and maximum monthly dues
- In order to consistently report monthly recurring revenue, all recurring payments are translated into a monthly amount on the dashboard
- The monthly payment amount is calculated as follows:
- Monthly payment frequency: The payment amount is reported as-is
- Bi-weekly payment frequency: The payment amount is multiplied by 26 then divided by 12
- Weekly payment frequency: The payment amount is multiplied by 52 then divided by 12
- Bi-monthly payment frequency: The payment amount is multiplied by 6 then divided by 12
- Quarterly payment frequency: The payment amount is multiplied by 4 then divided by 12
- Semi-annual payment frequency: The payment amount is multiplied by 2 then divided by 12
- Paid in Full (PIF): No monthly payment would be included
New Memberships by Day
The New Memberships by Day graph will show you the total number of new memberships broken out by location. If you have multiple locations, this data will be useful to compare new memberships entered across your different locations
Running Total New Memberships Units
The Running Total New Memberships Units graph will display the total number of new memberships added over time. This data will be useful to find trends in new memberships added for all of your locations.
New Memberships by Location
The New Memberships by Location graph will show you the total number of new memberships entered for each location. This will be most useful if you have multiple club locations.
This graph will also come with additional matching data that can provide a more detailed view of new memberships entered per location.
New Memberships to Date by Location
The New Memberships to Date by Location graph will display the number of new memberships entered for each location for the selected month.
New Dues by Location
The New Dues by Location graph will show you the total amount in dues from new memberships gained by each location for the selected month. This will be useful to keep track of the new dues acquired by all of your locations.
New Memberships by Type
The New Memberships by Type data will provide a detailed view of the memberships sold broken out by the Card/Offer Code. This should be used to keep track of how well each membership is performing.
New Memberships by Term Compared to Prior Months
The New Memberships by Term Compared to Prior Months graph will display the percentage of new memberships of different term lengths for the selected month and compare that with the previous three months.
30 Day Check-ins for New Members
The 30 Day Check-ins for New Members graph will provide data on the number of new member check-ins recorded within the last 30 days from the selected date.
New Members by Age & Gender
The New Members by Age & Gender graph will provide a breakdown of new memberships grouped by age and separated out by gender. This data will be presented in a combined graph as well as two separate graphs.
New Memberships, Replacements & Renewals
The New Memberships, Replacements & Renewals table will give you a complete table with information on all new memberships entered for the location and month selected.
The Churn tab is going to provide data specific to membership cancellations, expirations, and returns (a.k.a. churn). This data will prove very useful in keeping track of the number of members your club(s) are losing and how that will impact revenue.
The top section will provide you with some totals related to your club's churn.
- Total Churn: The total number of churned member accounts across all locations for the selected month with the total MRR lost due to churn
- Cancellations: The total number of churned accounts for the selected month that were cancellations. This will include the total loss in recurring revenue from the cancellations
- Expirations: The total number of churned accounts for the selected month that were account expirations. This will include the total loss in recurring revenue from membership expirations
- Returns: The total number of churned accounts for the selected month that were returned.This will include the total loss in recurring revenue from returns
- Churn Rate: The percentage rate at which member accounts were churned for the selected month. This will compare the number of churned accounts to the total number of active member accounts in the club.
- Retention Rate: The percentage and total number of memberships that were retained after churn. This should be the inverse of the Churn Rate
Churn by Day
The Churn by Day graph will show you the total number of accounts lost to churn for the selected month broken out by churn type. This graph should be used to review which parts of each month generate the most amount of churn
Running Total of Churn
The Running Total of Churn graph will display the total running number of memberships lost due to churn for the selected location. This graph will display this information for the current and previous 3 years for the selected month
Churn by Location
The Churn by Location graph and the Churn Detail by Location chart will provide you with some detailed data on the churn for each of your locations. This will be very useful in understanding where you are losing most of your memberships.
Churn to Date
The Churn to Date graph will provide an overview of the total number of churned accounts over time from the beginning of the selected month for the selected locations.
Lost Dues by Location
The Lost Dues by Location graph will provide an overview of the total amount of dues payments lost due to churn for each location. This data will also be split by the churn type to give an idea of where dues revenue is being lost.
Churn by Age & Gender
The Churn by Age & Gender graph will provide an overview of the ages and genders of churned accounts for the selected locations.
The Churn Reasons graph will provide data on what is causing churn for the selected locations and month. This will include reasons such as expired, canceled, and returned, as well as reasons that you enter when removing the account from Member Management.
Churn by Membership Type
The Churn by Membership Type graph will provide information on which memberships are experiencing the most amount of churn.
The Churn Detail table will give you a complete list of all churned accounts for the selected locations and month.
- Client ID: The ID for the club that the churned member was located in
- Location Name: The name of the club location that the churned account was located in
- Churn Type: Lists if each churned account was a cancellation, expiration, or return
- Churn Date: The date each account was churned
- Rollover Type: The type of renewal the member account had, if any
- Membership Length (Months): The length of time the membership was active before it was churned
- Churn Reason: The reason the account was churned
- Cancellation Reason: If the account was canceled, this will list the cancellation reason entered from Member Management
- Churn Recurring Payment: The recurring payment that was lost due to the account being churned